I’m going to pretend that Zuzu’s tag extends to Feministe commenters’ own blogs. The meme is to list five things about myself that most people don’t know, of which one isn’t true. I could list a lot of things most people don’t know, but I’m aiming for what even Katie doesn’t know.
1. I used to blog under an alias, which came to know a few bloggers who now know me by my real name, and likely have no idea they knew me beforehand.
2. When I started college, I thought I would end up specializing in something related to calculus, like differential equations, or even mathematical physics; I wavered later but still was into applied subjects. Then I discovered abstract algebra and never looked back.
3. I’ve been heterosocial almost my entire life. Except between third and seventh grades, and to some extent second and eighth, I’ve always had more female friends than male friends.
4. In elementary school, I’d always find a way to dodge the annoying ceremonies that teach students nothing except how to follow teachers’ exact directions without thinking – the Holocaust memorials, the Rabin memorial ceremonies, and various and sundry holiday celebrations.
5. After 9/11, I had a stint of being more Islamophobic than the average Freeper. It got to the point that when some Pakistani student annoyed my too much in eighth grade, I told him (rough quote) “What the hell, you’re going to get seventy virgins anyway.”