Skatje tagged everyone reading her post with a meme that asks the blogger to list ten weird things or habits about him/herself.
1. I’m a major language/linguistics geek. I’m not really a polyglot, but I invent languages prolifically. The easiest way to my heart is with a knife, but the second easiest is by telling me about the languages you invent or the linguistics you study.
2. My third place is the grocery store across the street, where I write posts in my head while looking in vain for unsalted meat (there are too many Jews in the neighborhood…) at 3 am.
3. I’m addicted to bread. Wheat is better than white, but even white is good as long as it’s freshly baked rather than sliced and packaged. Unfortunately the said grocery store has no good bread past 10 or 11 pm, and other stores aren’t even open that late, which is turning me off my favorite food.
4. When people say stupid things to me online, I usually respond fairly mildly. But in my head I think of snark that tends to begin with “Do you know why I’m always right? It’s because…”
5. My views of sexuality are almost the diametric opposite of the mainstream’s, in the sense that I don’t think domination equals putting one’s penis in every hole where it can fit. It seems to be standard in BDSM for a dominant to make the submissive give him/her a blowjob. In my conception of sexuality, it’s the other way around: the dominant is the party that gives the blowjob, making him/her the party that can control the submissive’s sensations.
6. I only identify with feminism because of Avedon Carol. I started regularly calling myself a feminist after a bunch of bored Stepford wives called me a feminist pejoratively, but I wouldn’t have if I’d thought feminism was pro-censorship.
7. I’m very heterosocial, and have been so for most of my life. It’s not that I hate men or anything; it just happens that my social circle is majority female.
8. I have crushes of varying degrees of intensity on most under-30 women on my blogroll. It’s evidently not serious enough that I can’t have the same crush on 10 different women, but still.
9. I waver between extreme shyness and inability to shut up. Usually I start out by not saying anything, but if I know something about the subject or have some acquaintance with you, the only surefire way to get me to stop talking is with duct tape.
10. I’m very uncomfortable with crowds, politically speaking. Even a small dose of groupthink or similar displays of solidarity can make disillusion me even with movements I strongly identify with the politics of.
Like Skatje, I tag everyone.